This may be of some interest to you: our "cousins" Yo Yo Mundi ( the folk-rock band whose album and musical 54 were based upon our novel) will tour Britain in February, from London northwards to Edinburgh, and they'll also play in Ireland (Dublin).
This is no ordinary gig: they'll play Sciopero, i.e. Strike, their live accompaniment to Sergei Eisenstein's 1924 film.
It is not an absolute debut in the UK either: in September 2004 YYM played at the Spitz in London, and later at the European Social Forum. Their work on the movie's soundtrack was appreciated by the critics, the public and such fellow musicians as Neil Francis Tennant of Pet Shop Boys, who composed a new soundtrack to Eisenstein's The Battleship Potemkin (1925).
In that occasion Paolo Archetti Maestri, vocalist and guitar player of the band, was interviewed by the Socialist Worker:
We're very happy that YYM were offered this opportunity. Strike is one of their best projects, they've been performing it all over Italy since 2000.
Strike is the spark that caused our collaboration with the band: after seeing the show in Bologna, novelist Stefano Tassinari got so enthusiastic that he immediately called us and said: "You must work with these guys!". That happened in 2002.
If you're curious and want to listen to that music, here's some good stuff from 54:
"Ettore, Red Star is Winning" (54, part two, "McGuffin Electric", chapter 3, Night between 5 and 6 May, pp.308-10):
"The Duckling Bobbed towards the Shore" (54, part two, "McGuffin Electric", chapter 14, 21 May, pp.344-46)
"If I Die Tonight" (54, part two, "McGuffin Electric", chapter 48, 2nd July, pp.486-87)
Strike is Sergei Eisenstein's debut film, featuring historic experiments in the art of montage. Eisenstein used editing to juxtapose apparently unrelated images to create rapid and dynamic shifts in rhythm, unconsciously giving musicians an ideal basis from which to interact with the moving image. Yo Yo Mundi create an all round musical and visual atmosphere, with their guitars swinging from ethereal to punk rock and their gorgeous, swirly accordion sounds along with tinkling percussion. Waltz-time keyboard tunes and pounding folk-rock complete the opera, placing the band at the apex among the Italian masters of silent film soundtracks.
Strike (Stachka), USSR 1925, 82 min. Dir. Sergei M. Eisenstein.
SCIOPERO TOUR DETAILS
* Sunday 05 february - London, Barbican Arts Centre (Silk Street, London EC2Y 8DS) www.barbican.org.uk - Box Office Number +44 (0) 845 127 550, ticket prices: 6.50 full. Performance: 3.00 pm - 15.00.
* Monday 06 february - Petersfield, The Studio TPS (Cranford Road, Petersfield GU32 3LU) www.petersfieldschool.com - Box Office Number +44 (0) 1243 774641, ticket prices: 10.00 full, 5.00 concs\students. Performance: 7.30 pm - 19.30.
* Tuesday 07 february - Dartington, Barn (Dartington Hall Totnes Devon TQ9 6DE) www.dartingtonarts.co.uk - Box Office Number +44 (0) 1803 847070, ticket prices: 7.50 full, 5.00 concs. Performance: 8.00 pm - 20.00.
* Wednesday 08 february - Norwich, NAC Norwich Arts Centre (St. Benedict's Street, Norwich, NR2 4PG) www.norwichartscentre.co.uk - Box Office Number +44 (0) 1603 660352, ticket prices: 7.00 full, 5.00 concs. Performance: 8.00 pm - 20.00.
* Thursday 09 february - Chichester, University www.ucc.ac.uk.
* Friday 10 february - Sheffield, Showroom (Paternoster Row, Sheffield S1 2BX)
www.showroom.org.uk Box Office Number +44 (0) 0114 275 7727
* Saturday 11 february - Edinburgh, Filmhouse (88 Lothian Road, Edinburgh EH3 9BZ) www.filmhousecinema.com Box Office Number +44 (0) 0131 228 2688, ticket prices: 5.90 full, 4 concs.
* Sunday 12 february - Manchester, Cornerhouse (70 Oxford Street, Manchester M1 5NH) www.cornerhouse.org - Box Office Number +44 (0) 161 200 1500, ticket prices: £6.50 full, £4.50 concs. Performance: 5.30 pm - 17.30, tbc.
* Monday 20 february - Dublin, Sugar Club (8LWR Leeson Street, Dublin 2) www.sugarclub.com - Box Office Number +353 1 678 7188, ticket prices: free
admision. Doors: 8.00 pm. Performance: 8.30 pm.